I need to work -

Discuss low, medium and high range drink driving penalties, laws, charges and fines.

Moderators: Victorian Lawyer, Edward80

I need to work -

Postby shorty » September 13th, 2011, 5:14 pm

I pleaded guilty recently in the MC in Brisbane. My reading was .13%. I was disqualified for way too long. I represented myself.

I have now got a job in the entertainment industry which requires me to drive to various parts of Qld, mostly RSL's.

What I want to know is can I get the case reopened and get a work licence now as I have changed my circumstances. At the time I didn't have a job but now I do.

- Hope you can give me good news??
shorty

Re: I need to work -

Postby Dennis » September 20th, 2011, 10:10 am

I dont know what the law is in Qld but in NSW they don't have work licences. It makes it so hard :(
Dennis

Postby Frank99 » September 20th, 2011, 2:50 pm

Have you explored the possibility of a work license? I used to live in Queensland for several years and it's my understanding that in some circumstances you can apply for a work license. I think it depends on whether first offence, the bac reading, and circumstances of the offence. No such thing as a work license in my state (Vic) but you might have the option of a work license in Qld. Worth looking into.
Frank99

Postby pauld » September 20th, 2011, 2:53 pm

The most common question lawyers get is "I know I am going to lose my licence but can I get a conditional licence that allows me to drive to work". In Victoria, the answer is sadly 'no'. There was some talk of introducing conditional licences but at this time, once your licence is disqualified it is disqualified and there is no provision to allow you to drive under any circumstances.
pauld

Postby Victorian Lawyer » September 20th, 2011, 4:41 pm

The position in Victoria is unfortunately the same. There are no work licences and there have not been any here for decades. It seems ridiculous as it means that many good working people lose their jobs as they dont have a licence. I would think that we as a community should be helping people to address their problems with alcohol in a meaningful way. Losing your job just puts most people further back in their lives.
Bill Doogue | Criminal Lawyer | Doogue & O'Brien
http://www.drink-driving-lawyers.com.au
T (03) 9670 5121
Level 5, 221 Queen St Melbourne 3000
Victorian Lawyer

Return to Open Forum